April 21, 2013

Strong.....Boston Strong!


This week has been about as far from normal as one could possibly imagine.  It has taken me this long to be able to begin to process the events that have transpired since Monday afternoon.  I, like so many of you, am still somewhat numb, in a state of shock and disbelief.  I, like so many of you, had friends and relatives standing at or near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday afternoon. I, like so many of you have felt a sense of guilt as I continue with my "normal" life knowing so many others can not.  I, like so many of you, remained glued to my tv on Friday as the "manhunt" unfolded.  I, like so many of you, am trying to make any kind of sense out of this whole nightmare.  After days of processing it has become extremely evident to me there is no possible way to make any sense of this!  I am grateful my friends and family are safe; no physical injuries, just the emotional ones.  I hope all of your friends and family are safe as well.  So how do we move forward?  I am sure many of you have seen the quote from Fred Rogers, 

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”

This quote has been all over Facebook, Twitter, and many other social media sites. I have taken to these simple words to help me move forward.  I am sure you have been seeing the great "commercials" featuring images from the past week combined with words and music.  These "digital stories" are a part of the healing process for us all.  The amazing acts of heroism on that day and the random acts of kindness which have sprung up everywhere since are what will keep us moving forward and begin healing.  I have been  moved and inspired by the countless stories shared in the past few days, and I am sure so many more will emerge.  I plan, like so many of you (I hope), to be one of those helpers Mr. Rogers speaks about; maybe not at the moment of the awful tragedy, but in its aftermath.  Instead of holding some of those horrific images from Monday in my head, I am choosing to hold those of stadiums and ballparks full of proud and strong Bostonians (which I consider us all to be) belting out our National Anthem in unison, of former "foes" proudly wearing the "Boston Strong" logo on uniforms, of crowds of people cheering and applauding for police and other officials who have done an amazing and selfless job.  I hope you too can hold these positive images in your heads and remain strong; "Boston Strong!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and encouraged!