October 28, 2012

All Eyes on Sandy



What a crazy weekend!!  Talk about using social media for up to the minute information!!  I am sure you have all been paying attention to the pending “super storm”.  It’s hard not to be informed.  I am receiving constant “tweets”, Facebook updates, and even beeping app updates from weather apps.  It was hard to picture anything could be happening on Saturday as the day was beautiful and sunny; however, the skies this morning have definitely changed.  Every possible form of media is focused on this hurricane/super storm.  Automated phone and email alerts are pouring in from utility companies. One utility company has set up a text option so customers can automatically receive text message updates on the storm and related power outages. I am definitely in!! I am waiting, as I am sure my students are as well, for the “alert now” or mass automated phone message from our superintendent.  Will we have school tomorrow????  Well, I am planning on being in school.  I have been working on my plans for my first class on Monday morning.  I just finished a great WIKI diagram to share with my students.  As I sit here working on lesson plans focusing on communication tools I try to imagine this event happening 10 years ago.  How different would our access to information have been then??  People definitely have much more time to prepare for this storm, but on the flip side; we can’t seem to escape the continuous flow of information.  Of course, we could always “unplug.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and encouraged!