February 12, 2013

Digging Out and Charging Up!!

WOW!  Nemo left quite a mark for such a small fish!!  The Blizzard of 2013 will be remembered as one of the worst storms to hit our area.  I consider myself very lucky to have only lost power for 50 hours or so.  My house is intact and my family is safe!!!  I am sitting with my students, okay maybe half of a class, who are blogging themselves.  Our schools are open, though many of our students were not able to make it in today.  Parts of Cape Cod are still without power.  Many extraordinary stories are unfolding.   I feel as though our crews, both town and utility, did an unbelievable job to get us back to "normal" or as close as we currently are this morning.  I heard a chain saw running at 1 o'clock this morning!! YIKES!  I give those workers credit.  Can you imagine still going at that hour?!!!!  It was amazing to see the out pouring of help from local businesses.  For those of us who could access social media such as Facebook on our devices the posts inviting people in to businesses to "charge" up devices, and get warmed up were abounding.  Some local business owners were providing coffee, breakfast, and even pizza for lunch- free of charge!!!  I love it when Cape Codders pull together like that!!
As for my students who are missing school today.......we are working on our blogs; adding another post.  If you are sitting at home and have Internet, I'd love to hear about your experiences.  Remember to be careful about revealing too much personal information!  I hope all of my students are safe, warm, and dry.  I know for some of you it was a tough couple of days.  I am sure some of your homes sustained damage from the storm.  I hope to see you in school tomorrow morning.  I especially hope you and your families were the recipients of some of that good old Cape Cod neighborly assistance along the way!

Image Link:  http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130211/NEWS11/130219964/-1/NEWS


2 comments:

  1. Mrs. White, you're an inspiration to us all! Glad to hear that you and your family are safe.

    Your warm friends in Dennis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I hope "my warm friends in Dennis" survived the storm as well. Have a great day!

      Delete

Comments are welcomed and encouraged!