February 13, 2013

Picking Partners and Starting Scripts


Image Link:  http://www.wallsave.com/wallpaper/1920x1200/my-girlfriend-is-a-gumiho-free-valentine-computer-chobir-dokan-47292.html

Happy Valentine’s Day!!  I will be attending a workshop at the high school today and will not be teaching your classes.  Mrs. Diggins will be in for me and you know she is very familiar with our routines and my plans.  Please take the time to read this ENTIRE blog post.  She will be giving you specific directions once you have read the post.  I am sure you will do a wonderful job in my absence.  
On Tuesday I reviewed the Podcast Rubric and “contract” for working with a partner.  I asked you to think about a good partner for you.  Some of you, I believe ILT #9, already selected your partners.  If you were absent, I know this may all seem confusing to you.  In just a moment Mrs. Diggins will be giving you some papers and asking everyone to select or sit with partners.  If you are having a difficult time finding a partner please ask Mrs. Diggins to help you with this process.  I respect some of you may wish to work alone.  Remember this is a large undertaking and you may want to reconsider flying “solo.”  
Mrs. Diggins will give you the signal to go ahead and move so you are seated with a partner.  Once you have found someone to work with she will take you through a review of the “contract” for this project which can be found on the backside of the Podcast Rubric.  You will need to decide together which of your “How To” ideas you would like to develop.  You will also need to agree on your intended audience.  Mrs. Diggins will give you some examples if you aren’t sure what I mean by that.  I want you to write the word AUDIENCE on your contract under your How To topic title and fill in your audience.  Then you will read and sign the bottom of this page.

Now you are ready to start writing your script.  Please take a moment with your partner to reveiw the “Script Writing Tips” document.  Take note of the required elements at the bottom.  You will need to welcome your audience, introduce yourselves (first names only) and then introduce your topic.  Remember this isn’t being written like an English paper, but more like a conversation.  You will want to note who will be saying which lines in your script.  

For example:
Johnny:   Welcome to our How To Podcast Series.
Mary:  Today we will be sharing How to Tie Your Shoes.
Johnny:  I’m Johnny.
Mary:  And I’m Mary.  Let’s get started.


You will also need a closing or send off after you have finished your “How To.”  You may use the Internet to do some research about your topic.  Please write down the places you visited to get information. You will need to mention them at the end of your podcast.

I would recommend creating a Google doc for your script.  If you would prefer to hand write it that is fine as well.   Mrs. Diggins will have paper if you forgot to bring some to class today.  If you are creating a Google doc, you will want to share it with your partner.  To do this, create and title the doc as you always do.  Then look in the top right hand corner for the blue “Share” button.  You will click on it and see a very familiar window.  It is the same one you used to “share” your folders with me and other teachers.  You will need to add the school gmail address of your partner in the bottom space where it says, “Add people.”  It may be a good idea for your partner to type this in.  Then select “Share and Save” then “done.”  Your partner will now have access to this document just in case you are absent when we return from vacation.

Continue working on your scripts until Mrs. Diggins asks for you attention.  Be sure to put all of your documents in your binders or folders at the end of class.  You will be needing these when we return from vacation.  

**My ILT#3 students:  I know you didn’t have class on Monday.  Mrs. Diggins will be going over the rubric with you.  I am sure you will have some questions.  I will answer them after vacation.  Please do your best to get a script started.  Don’t get frustrated as I will make sure you are on track when we return from vacation.

I hope all of you have your power restored and are warm and safe in your homes.  Please do your best for Mrs. Diggins, as I know you will.  If I don’t get to see you in the halls on Friday be sure to have a safe and fun vacation!!!!
                       Fondly,
                        Mrs. White  :)

2 comments:

Comments are welcomed and encouraged!